Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Thing 11 IM and the library

This week's Learning 2.0 focus is on IM (instant messaging). You can find the details of the task at:


http://vbpl2point0.blogspot.com/2007/11/thing-11-read-and-find-out-about-how.html


I kind of expected this week's task to focus on us using IM as well as how it affects libraries, rather than just TALK about it. Shouldn't we at least have an account and use it before we even consider how it would work for the library?? Especially for those who don't already use IM have more to go on than what other people say. Like with myspace and facebook, I knew they were social networking sites, but I didn't know how they actualy did that---even Myspace for Dummies didn't give me as clear an idea until I created my account and started playing with it.

Back to IM, I signed up for an AIM account back in 1999 and probably have an MSN messnger account, a yahoo one, and one through myspace, but I don't use IM often. I used to use it a lot more, and I can see the advantages. I call it a combination of phone and email: it has the immediacy of a phone call but the advantages of writing email (less necessary immediacy than a phone call or face to face interaction). You can do the lingo, smileys/emoticons that liven up online text and give it personality, especially if you don't communicate as well verbally (tongue tied, think on your feet what to say).


Back to task, the focus of this week's task is what I think about IM and libraries. IM is just one more way of offering access to the library, and that is something to consider. I don't use IM much anymore, and I don't feel like it's as popular anymore, though I am not particularly trendy, so I'm probably wrong. It wouldn't hurt to have an IM service for customers---another way to reach the library and a way to reach the more tech savvy people. The advantages of IM are there when using IM as a service---response of a phone call, minus the immediacy of a reply, no face to face, speaking skills aren't as necessary though communication skills are still needed.

An interesting thing I saw in the articles was about using IM in work, not just for the customers, but also for staff as part of doing work. It's another tool of communication, but it's hard to think of using IM at work. It may be good for library-wide teams and talking with people in other locations, but the idea of using it for staff to communicate with each other---why don't you just get up and walk over to the desk and say it, unless it's socializing that you don't want others to hear, which is all I can think for having it as a way to communicate with coworkers. Maybe if you're at the public service desk, and you need to call for help without calling on the phone and having everyone else hear what you have to say. Though, sometimes email kind of becomes like IM, when someone sends a short email question, and you can easily get a long email conversation. So, sure IM is definitely a service to consider for customers, but I'm not sure about using it for staff work.




No comments: