Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Thing 14 More on Wikis

Continuing with wikis, we were asked to visit the library's own wiki (http://vbplreadersadvisory.wikispaces.com/) for reader's advisory and add an entry for Staff Picks. See more at this link:

http://vbpl2point0.blogspot.com/2007/12/thing-14-add-entry-into-virginia-beach.html

It was pretty easy to do. Just click on "Edit," and start adding the entry, just as if it was something you'd type with Microsoft Word. The hard thing was choosing what to recommend and to keep it short :) Mine is the Jacqueline Carey pick. I was surprised that I did not have to register to be able to make changes---does that mean anyone visiting could change content if they wanted? Do the owners of this wiki look over the changes and approve them? How do I contact the owner about questions (like what about including pictures of the book covers)? Also, I didn't see a way to tag my entry, and the Help page was no help.

Library groups using wikis? I think I discussed it already for Thing 13---funny how the questions repeat themselves. Like how team content could be mangaged with a wiki instead of Vignette. Groups can use a wiki, much like the W drive on the network, to store the team's information and projects. Groups can use it as a marketing tool to promote their activities and programs.

No comments: