Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Thing 19 Web 2.0 Awards

The last task for this week's learning 2.0 is looking at the Web 2.0 Award winners and exploring sites listed.


http://vbpl2point0.blogspot.com/2007/12/thing-19-explore-any-site-from-web-20.html


It was a little hard for me to choose sites to explore because there were so many to choose from! I have explored Facebook some since I signed up a month ago, so I figured I better find another site to explore. It was interesting that Facebook took first place for social networking, and Myspace was only an honorable mention, especially with the hype around it.


What I ended up exploring was the web 2.0 winners for video: youtube, dailymotion, and metacafe. I was introduced to youtube some time ago, so I have used it. I like finding a variety of music videos, especially old ones or new ones that I haven't yet seen on MTV or VH1 (too many other shows on or just missed seeing it). It's also neat finding videos done by people who put songs to clips from a favorite show. I never thought of this as a web 2.0 tool, but I guess with the capability for any user to upload videos, especially videos they've created, and the social aspect (comments, favorites, subscribing to favorite users) could be considered web 2.0.

Youtube is definitely is to videos websites what Ipod is to mp3 players. It's the one referenced most when people talk about a place to find videos or talking about websites that share videos. Dailymotion and metacafe actually look very similar to youtube and function the same way but don't have as many videos (search results). I guess due to uploading restrictions the videos tend to have poor visual and audio quality, but it's better than not being able to see the videos at all! I don't know about libraries using it. I'm sure customers would love to see the videos, either entertainment or reference ones, but the internet tends to run too slowly to watch it well. For staff, sometimes our supervisor finds reference videos for us to look at.

No comments: