Thursday, December 13, 2007

Thing 16 More about myspace

The next task involves either signing up for myspace or looking at different resources about signing up and using myspace and then write about what you think of it. Here is the link:

http://vbpl2point0.blogspot.com/2007/12/thing-16-create-your-own-myspace.html

I actually already have a myspace and facebook account. I thought of creating a new myspace account just for this task but decided it wasn't worth the time. Both my myspace and facebook accounts are still not complete (no profile info in facebook and only some for myspace)---though, the good thing about both is that you only put as much or as little info that you want to share with others. From what I remember, the sign up process isn't hard. You have to confirm your email. Especially with myspace, there are plenty of sites that offer advice and codes to personalize your profile. Facebook does have lots of fun interactive applications that encourage participation from little things (like superpokes) to more longer or comparative type things (quizzes, rating friends).

As I said in the previous blog, I find myspace to be a little more passive. Just have pictures, comments, and messages to read or send. Maybe it is enough for teens who just want to communicate and connect. Maybe it's become a brand name for social networking, much in the way the Ipod is for mp3 players. I'm surprised that myspace is still so popular. I like facebook's interactivity and am more likely to log in, just because there's more to do, besides pictures, messages, and comments. Still, social networking sites are popular as another way to connect with other people. It's a step up from email. I can send a friend a silly superpoke as a way of saying hi as a (however small) way of keeping in touch, especially if we don't email much. It's easier to share pictures, going ons, and surveys on myspace and facebook by posting them on the profile page than emailing a bunch of people because people can look if they're interested and whenever they want. Despite myspace being somewhat passive, it is still more interactive and engaging than email.

I still check email first and prefer it as my way to communicate, though I check facebook and myspace regularly and participate (post pictures, comments, blogs, bulletins, and play the interactive games on facebook). I have found that I find "friends" from other friends pages and vice versa, and that people are more likely to add you as a friend than exchange email. It is definitely more interesting to see your new friend's profile and learn as much or as little as you want about them than just get an email address. So I have had myspace since April (I think) and facebook for about a month, and I enjoy using them greatly, especially when some of my friends are easier to reach on one of these sites instead of email.

No comments: