Friday, December 21, 2007

Thing 20 Flickr


Christmas socks
Originally uploaded by
vbpl22

The next task for Learning 2.0 is learning about flickr and photo sharing. We read some articles and look around the site. Details at this link:

http://vbpl2point0.blogspot.com/2007/12/thing-20-explore-flickr-and-learn-about.html

I guess Flickr is to photos what youtube is for videos. That was what struck me most about the site when I was exploring it. Users create an account to upload photo files, create a profile with as much or as little about themselves as they want, and they can add favorites, join groups, and comment on other people's photos---a very strong element of social networking. I started with looking at the last 7 days of interestingness, and I was impressed with some of the pictures posted. Just plain interesting shoots or professional work. I explored the profile of someone who had posted a b/w picture of a cute girl in a red sweater. My pictures seem amateurish compared to what I've seen!

An interesting thing was the copyright announcement to each picture and the note on etiquette. It seems that people online are not so thoughtful. The attitude seems to be "if it's online, and there's a way to copy it, then you can't stop me!" I haven't used other photo sharing sites, but myspace and facebook both have photo upload features, and I've uploaded many pictures. I've disabled links to my pictures, but people can still copy/save to file, and they do take my pictures.

I signed up for a Flickr account to upload this picture. The tour was easy to follow, and sign up was easy. Uploading the pictures and the processing were a little more confusing. I can't use the "edit" feature. Strangely, my picture won't show up in a search, though I have the link. Maybe it'll show up later? I hear Photobucket is more user friendly, so I'll probably check it later. I uploaded this picture with Flickr. I chose this one because it's such a fun one, and you wouldn't be able to identify who it is.

No comments: